Skip to main content

I'm that parent!

As many people know, I am very passionate about things and especially my kids.... but who isn't. For some reason I always choose the hard route. In this case the hard route for Calvin is fighting for him... always.


My earlier post caught me in a very upset momma bear mode. Since that time I have been able to sit and think a little more clearly. I have thought about my reasoning behind my passion for putting Calvin with the highest functioning kids as possible. What I have concluded is that, I have him in hours of therapy... and I mean hours. He is doing amazing in that therapy. He is in ABA which is applied behavioral analysis with Autism Solutions and he is rocking it. We have all seen drastic improvements in his cognitive abilities. I feel like many of the reasons he is doing so well in therapy is because he wants to be like his mainstream friends in his class at school. He loves to be like those around him. Which brings me to his peer modeling again. If he is modeling high functioning kids then he will become more high functioning. It is so hard to explain and for others to see my passion and my heart ache. I know he will never been like the kids next door but he is going up to be a very smart Calvin. The decisions we make right now will help his gap become smaller. I really believe that he is getting so much one on one help outside of the school that I want him to grow in the social skills as well as seeing how other children are learning and growing.

If we never push them then how will we know what they can do?

The hard thing about that meeting this morning was that they were focusing on Calvin's worksheets which show he is HORRIBLE at writing. Calvin really struggles with writing and it's definitely one of the things we need to work more on at home. Just like everything. But that's beside the point. A wise person once talked with me about if Calvin had no hands then we wouldn't be so focused on his writing abilities and we would look to see if he knows the information in different ways. The hard thing about Calvin and the hard thing about Fragile x is that writing is difficult to master and become good at it but he is improving, even if it is small improvements! I'll take it. His low muscles in his hands make it a harder skill to be good at. When I rest my hand on his wrist he actually can write so much better. I bought him a little hand type weight to try but it then makes him hold his awkwardly. Sorry, I got side tracked.

I know the principle at the school means well by suggesting life skills class because he felt like we would get the most help there. I feel bad for completely disagreeing with him but I do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's for sure a boy!!!

My Sweet Calvin!!!
Calvin Ryan Stoddard was born July, 2nd 2010!!!
This sweet miracle enter our lives at 8:30 pm weighing 7 lbs 9 oz. He is the most precious thing in this world! I am so grateful to be a mommy and have such an amazing blessing in my life!

Baby's Room

Here are the Pictures I promised of the baby's Room! It is all done and ready for the cute little Man!!! We can't wait to see him!


The up-close & personal view of Ryan's art work!

We also hiked Adam's Canyon this past week and here are some cute pictures of the trip! We made it all the way to the top!! It was beautiful!


This is Ryan & I at a baby shower that RC Willey did for us! I talked him into going with me! I even think he kinda enjoyed it!!! What a sweet little daddy he is gonna be!

Cute Little Boy!

These last few weeks have just flown bye and have been full of so much excitement! I finished my first year of nursing school and I am scheduled to take my NCLEX (LPN nursing test)! I'm so excited to have that test over with so I can finish getting things ready for the baby because he will be here in less than 8 weeks! I haven't been studying as much as I should because I can't concentrate because I keep getting stressed out about not having things ready for the baby... You all the little new moms get really stressed before the baby comes! I have also started to go to this zumba class with some friends from RcWilley's because I have been a little depressed since my aerobics class got over. Zumba kicks my butt for sure however, I love the class.
Ryan has been loving his new job! He keeps coming home and saying... I can't believe they pay me to do this... because he enjoys it so much! He is use to drawing and designing for free or well paying to do that with school..…